Thursday, December 13, 2007

Gettin' Out of Delhi

I'm happy to say I'm getting out of Delhi today, taking an overnight train to Varanasi.

I hope the last post wasn't too depressing. It was a bad day and then I sat down in front of a computer.

But it's all part of the adventure and reminds me of a tag line I read on someone's post on an Internet forum somewhere: "Adventure is emotional and physical discomfort recalled in a state of tranquillity." I want to send a big thank you to those of you that sent me words of encouragement and virtual hugs. It was very much appreciated.

Delhi, as you may have guessed, hasn't been my favorite part of the trip, but there were a few highlights. Riding around the madness of Old Delhi on a bicycle rickshaw was one:




On my second day there was a festival/parade down the street in front of my hotel. It was put on the Sikhs, one of India's religious groups. They're the ones that wear the turbans (apparently there is a star Sikh cricket player called the "Turbanator"). They were giving out free food (good, too!) and it was quite a party, although the "marching bands" sounded terrible. I was touched to have people in the parade hand me crackers and some kids share their oranges with me.



I also visited the place Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated on January 30, 1948. He would take part in nightly public prayer-meetings on the grounds of the house where he was staying and was shot and killed there by a Hindu extremist. The house is now a museum. As you wind your way through the house, exhibits tell the story of Gandhi's life from the early years on; when you get to his last hours, you end up in his room where the handful of his worldly possessions are displayed, including his glasses and walking cane. From there you follow concrete footprints that lead to the back garden, marking his final steps that evening. The footprints end at a small memorial where he fell. Gandhi is one of my heros so it was a very poignant, moving experience for me. I'll leave you with a couple of Gandhi quotes that seem especially relevant for us today:

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh...Ghandi! Did you know that he was the first "non-American" to be featured as Time Magazine's "Man of the Year"?
Who would have known...apparently the winning team in Trivia last night, because up until that question we were in first.
Wow, I think that statement just trivialized a great man and an even greater message. I think that is to be my lot in life today as was told to me in my horoscope today. It said: "I have a way of making birds levitate".

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,

I've been enjoying reading about your adventures. The photos are really wonderful---Maybe when I retire from teaching and raising my kids you can guide Mark and I around the world!

I look forward to the rest of your trip.

Carol and Mark DeZutti (one of your California cousins)