Saturday, December 8, 2007

Leaving Nepal

I'm leaving Nepal for Delhi, India this afternoon. I've had such a great time here and met so many fun and interesting people that I'm a little sentimental and sad this morning.

But I'm also ready to start my next adventure. I'm really curious about how I'm going to react to India. I've met a lot of people that have just come from there and it seems to be one of those love or hate it places. I've been told by a number of people that I'll probably hate it for the first week or so while I'm adjusting--more culture shock. Apparently the people are much more aggressive with tourists as far as begging and selling. I've also been told to "trust no one," as scams seem to be everywhere; it may even be a struggle to get the taxi from the airport to take me to my hotel.

I have a lot more that I want to post on Nepal, but this week has been so busy with getting my Indian visa (bureaucratic nightmare) and a full social calendar with new friends.

Posts with pictures are more fun, aren't they? So in case you've forgotten what I look like, here's a self portrait I did on the Jomsom trek. It was taken on a beautiful morning from Poon Hill at sunrise. The peak in the background is Dhaulagiri, the seventh highest mountain in the world at 26,794 ft.


5 comments:

MDH said...

India is a different animal indeed. Just keep your hand on your wallet and your heart wide open and all will be well. As with anyplace else, when you lose your sense of humor, you're fucked.

love from home! m

PS. (Y)our building is being demolished to make room for a senior citizen fascist corporate housing center. Isn't progress grand?

Anonymous said...

Namaste, Namaste, Namaste Eric Ji

India is an amazing place if you are ready to be completely spun around,turned upside down and shaken ~ sort of like a martini. Think of the buddhist student who asks his teacher for more lessons / knowledge and the monk's response is your bowl is already overfulling and you are not ready to receive. Empty "your bowl" and be ready to receive what India has to offer and teach you about yourself and the world around you in this land of extremes. You will see desperate poverty and extreme wealth; you will witness cruelty and amazing human kindness; you will smell the most foul scents you never thought possible but then remember to buy a garland ring of jasmine....Enjoy, receive, give...

Love,
Christen and Dave

ps: We want to offer you some taxi advice. When you get into town via bus, train, plane, etc. walk about a block or 2 away from the station to find a taxi driver. You will be harrassed at the station and have a greater potential of price gauging. Walk away and a sense of calmness will return and you will find a taxi driver 2 blocks away. This was our sanity strategy on travel days. Goodluck!!

Anonymous said...

"Whatever's in your bowl"

Anonymous said...

Nice hat.

The Cute One said...

Poon Hill... Hee-Hee.

Keep a stiff upper pal!